- Independence Events? (back to top)
- Three sisters : Venus , Serena
, and the
well-hidden little Cathy,
- play one tennis opponent
per week. The chances
of each sister
- beating any unrelated player
are 7/10, 8/10, and 9/10,
- The probabilities of any
sister beating another are given in the
- table at right (for example
Venus beats Cathy 7/10 of the time).
- Each week, one pair of sisters
plays each other (at random) ;
- the third plays an outsider.
In a 50-match season,
- player is likely to win the
most matches, and how many
- matches would each one expect
to win, on the average?
- Please explain your steps and reasoning;
resubmissions carry a 1-pt penalty.