CORE POSITIVE IMMERSION ABSTRACTS
Understanding new scientific insights into your brain structure and brain functioning is the key to
enhancing your personal success and professional productivity. Your success in helping the County
Library department achieve its public service "Mission Objective" of providing
EXCELLENT customer information services as promoted in the "EXCEL"
philosophy training workshops depends upon your understanding of "HOW YOUR BRAIN WORKS
so you will be able to maximize your brainpower!
For a quick review or primer on how brain structure influences brain function in ALL OF THE BRAINS OF
LIBRARY STAFF, click on the following Automated Brain Tutorial link:
Go to: Automated Brain Tutorial
 THINKING FOR A CHANGE ---
11 WAYS HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE APPROACH LIFE AND WORK
CHANGE YOUR THINKING AND CHANGE YOUR LIFE
Go to: Thinking for a Change
Understand the value of "good thinking" --- which is a different way to think!
ELEVEN THINKING SKILLS EVERY SUCCESSUL PERSON NEEDS
1) Changing from negative to positive thinking is not always easy, especially if you have a difficult time with change. For some, it is a life-long struggle. Most people's NUMBER ONE CHALLENGE regarding making positive personal changes is THEIR FEELINGS!
2) Realize the impact of changed thinking
They may want to change, but they do not know how to get past their emotions! But there is a way to do it. Take a look at the TRUTH contained in the following syllogism:
MAJOR PREMISE = I can control my thoughts.
 Good thinking increases your potential
MINOR PREMISE = My feelings come from my thoughts.
CONCLUSION = I can control my feelings by controlling my thoughts!
 Good thinking produces more good thinking --- IF YOU MAKE IT HAPPEN!
This book does NOT try to tell you WHAT TO THINK --- but the book does attempt to teach you HOW TO THINK!
 You can learn to develop each of these 11 kinds of thinking and become a MASTER THINKER --- so your life will change the way you want it to!
Advice from a good thinker --- THINKING QUESTION: "Do I believe that good thinking can change my life?"
3) Master the process of "intentional thinking"
SKILL 1 --- Seeing the wisdom of "big picture" thinking
This book does NOT try to tell you WHAT TO THINK --- but it does attempt to teach you HOW TO THINK!
SKILL 2 --- Unleashing the potential of "focused" thinking
SKILL 3 --- Discovering the joy of "creative" thinking
SKILL 4 --- Recognizing the importance of "realistic" thinking
SKILL 5 --- Releasing the power of "strategic" thinking
SKILL 6 --- Feeling the energy of "possibility" thinking
SKILL 7 --- Embracing the lessons of "reflective" thinking
SKILL 8 --- Questioning the acceptance of "popular" thinking
SKILL 9 --- Encouraging the participation of "shared" thinking
SKILL 10 --- Experiencing the satisfaction of "unselfish" thinking
SKILL 11 --- Enjoying the return of "bottom-line" thinking
You can learn to develop each of these 11 kinds of thinking and become a MASTER THINKER --- so your life will change the way you want it to! (p15)
 THE SECRET LIFE OF THE BRAIN
Book Source: (Secret Life of the Brain)
 ACCELERATED LEARNING
Accelerated learning is based on the scientific discoveries of HOW the human
brain works and HOW the memory works. How can "FACTS" be rapidly
and deeply fixed in your memory? Accelerated learning works by setting up memorable
visual and aural "associations" in your mind that are simultaneously absorbed
by both the "conscious" and "unconscious" parts of your brain!
Book Source: (Accelerated Learning)
In the past, learning was based on the idea that determined concentration and frequent repetition
was essential. Now science has proven that such learning is inefficient because
it causes unnecessary tension and it tends to involve just one half of your brain. Instead, accelerated
learning is based on the idea that more efficient learning can be achieved in a pleasantly relaxed receptive
state of mind when information is presented in
new ways that actively involve both the "left" and "right" sides of your brain!
The amazing result and paradox is that a learner puts in no more conscious effort than normal, since the
learner is relaxed. Also, when facts are contained in sentences that are short and rhythmical, they
can be more easily remembered. The new information is thus "positioned" so it
can be absorbed in the "peripheral vision" of your mind.
This accelerated learning process creates new interesting associations among the facts" you
want to learn because of a sophisticated form of creative "PLANNED REPETITION." This
deliberate conscious exercise of your brain "locks in" the new information in your
long-term memory. Thus, for efficient and fulfilling learning, you must THINK planned
repetition, planned repetition, planned repetition!
In summary, you can "accelerate" your learning by creating a pleasant, relaxed receptive
state of mind and by categorizing or "chunking" new information that you want to
learn in new ways, which actively involve both the left and right sides of your brain!
 THE MEMORY BIBLE ---
AN INNOVATIVE STRATEGY FOR KEEPING YOUR BRAIN YOUNG
A proven way to improve your memory involves training yourself to accomplish three basic skills: LOOK, SNAP, and CONNECT!
Book Source: The Memory Bible
The following THREE effective memory skills can be easily learned:
(1) LOOK --- Actively observe what you want to learn!
With this dynamic process you can improve or restor your ability to remember.
Slow down, take notice, and focus on what you want to remember. Consciously absorb details and meaning from a new face, event or conversation.
(2) SNAP --- Create mental "snapshots" of memories!
Create a "mental snapshot" of the visual information you wish to remember. Add details to give the
"snaps" personal meaning and make them easier to learn and recall later.
(4) CONNECT --- Link your "mental snapshots" together!
Associate the "images-to-be-remembered" in a chain, starting with the first image, which is associated with the second, the second with the third, and so forth. Be sure the first image helps you recall the reason for remembering the chain.
 DOUBLING YOUR BRAIN POWER
You can maximize your ability or power to learn subjects fast --- if you understand the following
proven assumptions and facts about your own ability to learn:
Book Source: (Double Your Brain Power)
1) Basic assumption = You are already a FABULOUS learner
2) You can overcome the four barriers to "instant learning" by actively
neutralizing the following four negative attitudes or barriers to learning:
(1) Learning BARRIER ONE = "Learning is boring!" REMEDY = to reverse
and rephrase your barrier statement into its opposite, such as "Learning is exciting,
involving and interesting!"
3) You can reward yourself for successful learning experiences!
(2) Learning BARRIER TWO = "I am NOT a good learner!" REMEDY =
to reverse and rephrase your barrier statement into its opposite, such as "I am an excellent
learner who has already learned a lot about a lot of subjects!"
(3) Learning BARRIER THREE = "I can NOT learn this subject!" REMEDY
= to reverse and rephrase your barrier statement into its opposite, such as "I learned my job
and many survival skills and many subjects in school --- and I can learn this subject, too!"
(4) Learning BARRIER FOUR = "I will NOT remember what I learned!"
REMEDY = to reverse and rephrase your barrier statement into its opposite, such
as "I have already learned to remember many important things, including names,
facts and dates --- and I can and will remember the most important aspects of this
You can tap into your own "optimum learning state" by activating your "optimum
learning state" and by accessing your "inner optimum learner."
One way to discover your personal learning style is to discover what are your
best "learning senses."
A Harvard University study proved that you have at least SEVEN learning senses:
The next time you are faced with a learning opportunity --- THINK about what are your
own BEST learning sense or senses?
(5) Kinesthetic --- body movement
(6) Intrapersonal --- self knowledge
(7) Interpersonal --- knowing others
Are they verbal, logical, visual, musical, kinesthetic, intrapersonal, or interpersonal, or a combination
Then apply that knowledge to acquiring a new skill or mastering new data!
You can master the three "stages of learning," which are:
(1) Before learning --- Planning and action "preparation"
(2) While learning --- Propositions and "revised propositions"
(3) After learning --- "Attaching yourself" to the knowledge
 HEALING THE HARDWARE OF YOUR SOUL
Understanding the "Brain-Soul" connection is the beginning of being a good
Book Source: (Healing the Hardware of the Soul)
1) The brain is the soul's fragile dwelling place
The feedback loop between the brain and the soul offers new answers
2) Seeing into the soul's hardware
From brain imaging and neuroscience
3) The thoughtful compassionate brain
The prefrontal cortex (PFC)
4) The flexible, growth-oriented brain
The anterior cingulate gyrus and basal ganglia
5) The spiritual and passionate brain
The temporal lobes and deep limbic system
6) The good, bad, and emotionally ugly
Brain and personality development
7) In God's house
The Sunday sermon
8) Lead us not into temptation
Brain-Soul connections and disconnections for parents, bosses, community, church,
and world leaders
 CHANGE YOUR BRAIN, CHANGE YOUR LIFE!
Three good insights related to how you can change your life for the better:
Book Source: (Change Your Brain, Change Your Life)
1) Do not think in extreme "black-or-white" terms of DICHOTOMIES but use
These selections from a list of 50 recommendations for optimizing your own brain function
breaking "bad brain habits" that can hold you back from successfully getting what you
want out of life and being happy are:
2) Do not think in words like "always, never, every time, everyone" since that behavior
distorts issues by over-generalization.
3) Do not focus on the negative things in your life!
(1) Do wear a helmet in high-risk situations
(2) Do drink lots of water --- six to eight 8-ounce glasses daily --- to stay well hydrated
(3) Do eat healthfully --- adjusting the proportion of protein and carbohydrate to your brain needs
(5) Do think positive, healthy thoughts
(6) Do love, feed, and exercise your internal "anteater" to rid yourself of automatic
negative thoughts or "ANTs!"
(7) Do take time to focus on the things you are grateful for in your life daily
(8) Do watch the Disney movie Pollyanna
(9) So spend time with positive, uplifting people
(10) Do spend time with people you want to be like --- you will more likely become like them
(11) Do work on your "people skills" to become more connected and to enhance limbic bonds
(14) Do build a "library" of wonderful experiences
(15) Do make a difference in the life of someone else
(16) Do exercise
(17) Do regularly connect with your loved ones
(18) Do learn diaphragmatic breathing
(19) Do learn and use self-hypnosis and meditation on a daily basis
(20) Do remember the "18/40/60 Rule" --- At eighteen, you worry about what everybody is thinking
about you. At forty, you don't give a damn about what anybody thinks about you. And at sixty
you realize that nobody's been thinking about you at all! People spend their life worrying and thinking
about themselves --- not you!!
(24) Do collect "penguins" --- in order to remind yourself to notice the good things
about the people in your life since it is unnatural for most people to notice what they like about their
life or about others, especially if they unconsciously use turmoil in their life to stimulate their prefrontal
(22) Do develop clear goals for your life --- relationships, work, money, self --- and reaffirm them daily
(23) Do focus on what you like a lot more than what you don't like
(50) Do full "brain evaluations" for people who do terrible things
Don't do the selections from a list of 50 things that can predictably
cause you to be dysfunctional in the clinical sense of being preoccupied with
"bad brain habits" since they are self-destructive and can lead
(10) Don't eat without forethought about what foods are best for your brain
(17) Don't allow your breathing to get out of control
(18) Don't think in "black-or-white" terms or absolute dichotomies --- use continuums
(19) Don't think in words like "always, never, every time, everyone" --- distortion by
(20) Don't focus on the negative things in your life!
(21) Don't predict the worst
(22) Don't think only with your feelings!
(23) Don't try to read other people's minds
(24) Don't blame other people for your problems
(25) Don't label yourself or others with negative terms
(26) Don't beat up yourelf or others with guilt --- since it is a very ineffective emotion
(27) Don't personalize situations that have little to do with you
(28) Don't feed your automatic negative thoughts or "ANTs"
(30) Don't talk to others in a hateful way
(31) Don't push people away from you
(35) Don't allow your life to just happen without you directing and planning it
(36) Don't take the "stimulant bait" from other people
(37) Don't be another person's "stimulant bait"
(38) Don't allow your thoughts to go over and over in your head
(39) Don't automatically say "No!" to others --- think first if what they want fits with your
(40) Don't automatically say "Yes!" to others --- think first if what they want fits with yor goals
(44) Don't listen to toxic music
(48) Don't deny that you have problems
(49) Don't refuse to listen to the people you love who are trying to tell you to get help
(50] Don't withhold love, touch and companionship from those you love as a way to express anger
 UNLOCK YOUR BRAINPOWER
BY SELECTIVELY "RE-ATTRIBUTING" YOUR BELIEFS
Book Source: (Brain Lock)
 YOU CAN'T AFFORD THE LUXURY OF A NEGATIVE THOUGHT
Book Source: (You Can't Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought)
 A MIND AT A TIME --- ADVICE
FROM AMERICA'S TOP LEARNING EXPERT
Book Source: (A Mind at a Time)
 USE YOUR PERFECT MEMORY ---
NEW TECHNIQUES FOR IMPROVING YOUR MEMORY
BASED ON THE LATEST DISCOVERIES ABOUT THE HUMAN BRAIN
Book Source: (Use your perfect memory)
Book Source: (Think)
 MIND AND BRAIN SCIENCES IN THE 21ST CENTURY
Book Source: (Mind and Brain Sciences in the 21st Century)
 YOUR FUTURE SELF --- A JOURNEY TO THE FRONTIERS OF MICROBIOLOGY
Book Source: (Your Future Self)
Return to: Brainpower Issue --- Resource List
Go to: Brain Tutorial Index
Go to: Leadership Control Essay
Go to: Home Page Index