EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE AT WORK --- THE UNTAPPED EDGE FOR SUCCESS
by Henrie Weisinger. Jossey-Bass, 1998.
PART 1 --- INCREASING YOUR EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE (p1-104)
 Definition of "Emotional Intelligence" = the intelligent use of emotions!
You can "intelligently" make your emotions "work" for you by using them to help guide your behavior and by thinking in ways that enhance your results at work! (pxvi-xvii)
Applications of emotional intelligence in the workplace are almost infinite. Emotional intelligence is used both
intra-personally --- helping yourself --- and inter-personally --- helping others. (pxvii)
 The building blocks of emotional intelligence (pxvii-xviii)
(1) The ability to accurately perceive, appraise, and express emotion.
 Emotional intelligence at work --- When employees use their emotional intelligence, they help build an emotionally intelligent organization, one in which everone takes responsibility for increasing their own emotional intelligence, for using it in their relations with others, and for applying the skills of emotional intelligence to the organization as a whole. (pxix-xix)
(2) The ability to access or generate feelings on demand when they can facilitate understanding of yourself or another person.
(3) The ability to understand emotions and the knowledge that derives from them.
(4) The ability to regulate emotions to promote emotional and intellectual growth.
 Part One --- Increasing your emotional intelligence --- Chapters 1-3 (pxix-xxi)
 Part Two --- Using your emotional intelligence in your relations with others --- Chapters 4-6 (pxxi-xxii)
 My three wishes (pxxii-xiii)
1) Developing high self-awareness (p3-26)
PART 2 --- USING YOUR EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE IN YOUR RELATIONS WITH OTHERS (p105-212)
2) Managing your emotions (p27-60)
3) Motivating yourself (p61-104)
4) Developing effective communication skills (p107-150)
APPENDIX --- DEVELOPING YOUR EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE--- Awareness survey instrument in two parts (p213-218)
5) Developing interpersonal expertise (p151-182)
6) Helping others help themselves (p183-212)
 You rate your ability to apply emotional intelligence (p214-215)
 You review your responses to the 45 QUESTIONS for the FIVE emotional intelligence "COMPETENCIES," which include:
(1) Three "Intrapersonal" competencies =
(2) Two "interpersonal" competencies =
2. Managing Emotions
1. Relating Well
2. Emotional Mentoring
Go to: Feelings Issue at Work
Go to: Motivation Issue at Work
Go to: Success Issue at Work
Go to: Leadership Control Essay
Go to: Home Page Index
Go to: Interactive Index