THE BERNARD ALOYSIUS BARTHLE FAMILY
Bernard Aloysius Barthle;
Jan 27, 1830 - Jul 01, 1900 was married Oct 01, 1860 to
Agnes ____ Weible; Jan 20, 1837 - Dec 03, 1918, they had five sons and five daughters.
Their first son was Frank _____ Barthle, he was born and died Jun 09, 1861
Their second son was also named Frank Joseph
Barthle; Mar 28, 1863 - Jun 03, 1953
Their first daughter was named Agnes Johanna
Barthle; Jan 22, 1865 - May 05, 1936
Their third son was named Andrew ____ Barthle; Feb 03, 1867 - Oct 10, 1890
(farmed on John Getty's)
Their fourth son was named Joseph
_____ Barthle; May 28, 1869 - Dec 16, 1879
Their second daughter was named Anna Francis
Barthle; Jul 10, 1871 - Aug 30, 1935
Their third daughter was named Mary Elizabeth
Barthle; Jun 17, 1874 - Nov 22, 1953
Their fourth daughter was named Mary
_____ Barthle; May 28, 1876 - Dec 27, 1963
Their fifth son was named John Bernard
Barthle; Jun 29, 1878 - Oct 26, 1964
Their fifth daughter was named Walburga _____ Barthle; Sep 16, 1882 - Sep 11, 1883
(A list of names)
The life of Bernard Aloysius Barthle
(The son of Andrew & Ana__? Barthle)
Bernard was born Jan 27, 1830 in Walasteden, Germany and died Jul 01, 1900 in St. Joseph Fl
Agnes was born Jan 20, 1937 and died Dec 03, 1918 in St. Joseph, Fl
Millwood township was organized 29 March 1871 by taking T126R32 and a fractional part of T127R32 from Oak township.
Early settlers were William Armstrong, Thomas Hanigan, John J. Ahearn, Edwin Lovell, Edward Graham, and
between 1866 and 1868. By 1871 William Graham, Henry Wheaton, John Buttweiler, George I. Oldham and James Duggan were also in the township.
At the time of the 1860 census the area was part of Sauk Centre township and for the 1870 census part of Oak township.
Information below in green is from
"The beginning of the Barthle Family in Florida"
They had moved from Minnesota where only years earlier
emigrated from the Black Forest Area of Germany.
June 1883. Andrew Barthle (1802-1891) and Charles Barthle (1852-1936) built the first permanent home in what would become St. Joseph.
Begining in 1883, the Barthle family led a number of Catholic immigrants from the German Empire into the area (by way of Minnesota) and founded St. Joseph, the last and only survivor of Edmund Dunne's planned villages. It was due north of San Antonio. A little board- and-batten church was built there in 1888 and dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
San Antonio and the surrounding area maintained a distinctly Germanic character until the era of the First World War when Florida was convulsed with an unprecedented wave of AntiGerman feeling combined with a strong Anti-Catholic movement led by the state's governor, Sidney J. Catts.
Governor Catts was widely quoted (and widely believed) to the effect that the "German" monks at St. Leo had an arsenal and were planning to arm Florida Negroes for an insurrection in favor of Kaiser Wilhelm II, after which the Pope would take over Florida and move the Vatican to San Antonio (and, of course, close all protestant churches). A number of German settlers moved away to friendlier parts of the country. Others stayed and took the pressure.
In 1926, during the Florida land boom, San Antonio was reorganized as the "City of Lake Jovita and its boundaries extended a considerable distance. In an effort to "modernize," Judge Dunne's street names were changed: Sacred Heart Street becoming Rhode Island Avenue, Pius IX Avenue becoming Curley Street, etc. The land boom ended abruptly in the same year, causing bank failures throughout the state.
A community with deep roots in the past and strong agricultural ties, Judge Dunne's Catholic Colony is now comprised of the Cities of San Antonio and St. Leo, the unincorporated village of St. Joseph and miles of orange trees and pasture lands. The central role played by the Catholic church in the life of the community and the deep commitment to agriculture by generations of residents are, like San Antonio's town square, reminders of what Judge Dunne envisioned in 1882.