The Dark Reactions (Light Independent)
What you need to know about the dark
- They can occur with or without
- They occur in the stroma of
- The dark reaction requires ATP and NADPH --
products of the light reaction.
- In addition the dark reaction requires
CO2, RuBP (a 5-carbon sugar called ribulose
bisphosphate), and rubisco (the most plentiful enzyme on
- One glucose molecule is formed only after 6
turns of the Calvin cycle.
- The 6-carbon molecule first formed by rubisco
is unstable and is quickly converted to 2 molecules of PGAL
(glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate also known as G3P). PGAL can be
returned to the Calvin cycle as RuBP or used in glycolysis and
several other anabolic processes to make amino acids or