FACTORS AFFECTING THE ACTIVITY OF SALIVARY
Vortex mixers, water baths, UV-Vis spectrophotometers, pipet pump
- Test tubes, test tube rack,
- 40-200 µL pipettors with tips,
- 200-1000 µL pipettors with tips,
- styrofoam cups,
- ice, (one or two bags)
- plastic cuvettes,
- buffer solutions (pH 4.0, 7.0, 10.0), amylopectin
solution, amylase solution, maltose solution, NaK tartrate
solution, DNS solution (color reagent), DI water, 50 mL
- grease pencils or markers,
- timer or watch with seconds readout.
Your teacher will tell you which parts (A, B, C, or D) of
the procedure you should complete. Each part will require five
different samples. After you have completed your part of the lab,
obtain data for the other parts of the lab from your classmates
and complete the student worksheet.
CAUTION: Careful pipetting and mixing is the key to success of
WARNING: DNS solution will cause burns and stain your skin. Wash
it off your skin immediately.
When you are ready to use the UV-Vis Spectrophotometer,
follow these instructions and the demonstrations of your teacher:
- Place cuvette with first sample in UV-Vis. Remember to hold
ribbed sides of the cuvette and position toward you.
- Choose Scan (F1 key) (this will give you a table with sample
number and absorbance )
- Repeat Steps 7 & 8 for each of your remaining samples to
record data for each sample.
- Choose Hardcopy (F9 Key) to print a hardcopy (optional.)
- Press Delete (F3 Key) to clear data. Press "A" and enter to
Go to directions for Part [A]