Wargaming is the hobby of fighting miniature simulated battle on a tabletop using lead model soldiers. At best these can only be vaguely reminiscent of real warfare, but it is a source of unbounded enjoyment and relaxation for the enthusiast. There are no casualties, no widows and orphans, no lasting psychological damage inflicted by these 'little wars,' and relatively little cost. Winning is not so important, just the fun one gets out of playing and how the game goes. The Victorian period especially can be heaps of fun, with horse drawn waggons, steam engines, heliographs, and observation balloons all used within the same period. It also has the appeal of pitting 'ancients,' armed with sword and spear and relying on sheer pluck, against 'moderns,' armed with rifles, artillery, and early, somewhat unreliable machine-guns.
Painting Service (Announcement: Now Defunct!)
This is to say that I am going into business as of Fri, 22 Jan 1999 as a painter of historical wargames miniatures, specialising in (can you guess?) Victorian-Edwardian colonials!
* You send me your figures, with the money, in US cheque made out to Trevor Brabyn
* Will remove flash, and assemble for $0.50 extra per figure
* Anything I think is especially difficult (ex: tartans, shield designs, etc.) cost $0.50 extra per figure.
* Irregulars, i.e. "Every figure is different", (ex: Boers, frontiersmen, civilians, etc), cost $0.50 extra.
* I prime all figures with a high quality white (or very rarely black or gray) primer.
* Option of matte, semigloss, gloss, or no finish. The norm will be semigloss.
* Your figures are detailed with washes, inks, and/or drybrush techniques
* The paints I use are acrylics, with some inks and enamels.
* I paint all periods, but will usually need uniform references.
* Anything out of the ordinary, like guns and limbers, I will give a price on if you ask
My prices for regulars (for irregulars, ie. lots of variation from fig to fig, add $0.50 per figure):
Prices ($US) 15mm 25mm
Cavalry 3.00 5.00
Shipping 5.00 in USA
Send the miniatures to this address:
533 Pine Crest Rd.
Mill Valley, CA 94941