CAC Home Page
History of the Cultural Arts Center
On the National Register of Historic Places
The Roberts-Mozley House ~ 104 years old in 2005!
one hundred years before the Douglasville/Douglas County Cultural Arts
Council purchased this elegant, late Victorian period home, Colonel/Judge W.T. Roberts exchanged wedding vows with Emma Quillian, daughter of the Reverend J.C.B. Quillian. Reverend Quillian was one of the early settlers of Douglas County, and the property's original owner. after the death of Reverend Quillian, Colonel Roberts bought the land from his mother-in-law and work on the two-story Greek Revival home began March 21, 1901.
air of neoclassical architecture, the low sweeping line of a grand front
porch, and an entrance of stained glass doors, the house reflected the prominent social status of Mrs.
Roberts and the Colonel. His political career included several terms as Mayor
of Douglasville and Solicitor General of two county courts before his election
to the Georgia State Senate in 1911. after his election, Colonel Roberts
moved his family to Washington, D.C. where he served in the U.S. Department
of Marketing during the Woodrow Wilson Administration. The house changed
owners many times after the Roberts family moved, but its "political" future
and social standing in the community continued.
Mrs. T. N. Mozley bought the eleven-room estate which remained in her
family until 1971.
T.N. Mozley was selected to
serve as Mayor of Douglasville in 1936, an honorable position filled by
his son, harold, ten years later. Harold was thought at the time to be the youngest
mayor ever elected in the U.S.
purchased the house in 1978. He is responsible for beginning its
restoration. he sold the property to the Douglasville/Douglas County Cultural Arts
Council on September 16, 1986.
The Roberts-Mozley house
is one of the few early structures remaining in Douglasville which embody
the characteristics of a period style. As a result, and with its history of prominent residents, the building has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U. S. Department of the Interior.
than one hundred years after the Colonel wed Emma Quillian, the past of
this elegant home is vibrant and alive in the dark stained heart of pine
that dominates the great foyer, staircase, and the forgotten tradition
of a "courting bench." Fireplaces, warmed by the soft colors of tortoise shell tiles, welcome the community of Douglasville and Douglas
County, where social events and service to their community became a way
of life for W.T. Roberts and the T.N. Mozley family.
Special thanks to Judy Vergamini and Helen Catron for their contributions
to the history of the Roberts-Mozley Home.