The Arizona Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans held provisional
status until the chartering of the Confederate Secret Service Camp 1710 on 6 April 1995. Camp 1710 joined the Colonel
Sherod Hunter Camp 1525, the Confederates of La Paz Camp 1572, the Captain Robert Rodes Nelson Camp 1647 and the Captain Granville
Henderson Oury Camp 1708 to make a full five Camp division. The first Division Convention and Reunion was held in Phoenix
in June, 1995. Reunions have since been in cities across the Territory.
In 1997, members of the Confederate Secret Service Camp 1710 who lived in Tucson rechartered Arizona's original
SCV Camp, Captain Hunter's Arizona Rangers Camp 1202. Camp 1202 had been organized in the 1930s but became inactive
in the 1970s. In an effort led by Compatriots Bobby Morris and James Gooden, Camp 1202 became the Division's sixth Camp.
In 1998, Division Commander
Robert Perkins led an effort to reorganize the division. It was decided that the division would consist of two brigades,
the boundary between them being the Gila River. Camps north of the Gila (1525, 1647, 1708) would make up the Salt River
Brigade and those to the south (1202, 1572, 1710) would make up the Gadsden Brigade. Unfortunately, Camp 1572 became
inactive this same year. The following year, members of the Salt River Brigade voted to change the brigade's name to
the Jefferson Davis Brigade.
In the fall of 2004, Past
Arizona Division Commander Glenn Meek, Past Camp 1710 Commander John Mangum and Camp 1710 members Tim Payne, Steve Morris
and Dave Hawkins organized and chartered a sixth Camp, the Texas John H. Slaughter Camp 2074. Headquarted in Tombstone,
the "Town Too Tough to Die," Camp 2074 adds to the stature and strength of the Arizona Division.
On 27 August, 2005, members
of Camp 1710 and 1647 living in the Gila Valley (Graham and Greenlee Counties) met in Safford to organize the Pvt. Nathan
Terry Wanslee Camp 2096, bringing the total of Arizona Camps to seven. Recruiting additional new members, Commander
Clyde England and Adjutant Dick Prina applied for an SCV Charter and brought the new Camp into the ranks of the Arizona Division.
In May, 2007, Camp 2074
member David L. Barton spearheaded an effort to organize and charter a new Camp, the Army of Trans-Mississippi Artillery Camp
2127. Recruiting eight members from an artillery reenactment unit, Compatriot Barton met the requirements for a
charter and submitted the request through the Division Commander to General Headquarters. The new Camp is headquartered
in Tucson. In June, 2008, Camp 2127 reorganized, elected new officers and voted to change its name to the Major Samuel
H. Drachman Camp. Major Drachman was a Confederate veteran and Tucson pioneer. There is a street named after him
in the City of Tucson.
In the Spring of 2007, members
of Camp 1647 met and voted to change the name of the Camp to the Private Peter Hail Camp 1647. Members conducting research
discovered that "Captain" Robert Rodes Nelson never held that rank and that, in fact, he purchased a substitute to evade his
enlistment responsibilities. They chose Private Hail, who was killed in action at the Battle of Glorieta Pass, as a
better example of our ancestors' dedication to the Cause.
In January, 2009, 24 members
of the Colonel C.L. Pyron Camp 2144 of Albuquerque, New Mexico, petitioned the Arizona Division for permission to charter
a new Camp in Yavapai County. Permission was granted and Camp Commander Ken Garrison and Ajutant Chris Mathis initiated
the charter application process. The Pvt. C.W. Lucas--Forrest's Escort Camp 2316 became the Division's ninth Camp
on 14 February 2009, the 147th anniversary of the creation of the Arizona Territory CSA and the 97th anniversary of Arizona's
In January, 2011, several
gentlemen living in Yuma and in El Centro, California, met in Yuma to organize the Yuma Territorial Outpost Camp. General
HQ reserved the number 2186 for the new Camp which became the tenth Camp in the Arizona Division. Camp 2186 was chartered
on 15 September, 2o11.
In the summer of 2011, the
Major Samuel H. Drachman Camp 2127 was unable to maintain the required seven members to remain a viable Camp. The Division
Commander suspended its charter and the remaining members transferred to Camps 2074 and 2186.
In October, 2011, members
of Camps 1710 and 2074 living in Douglas organized the Borderland Veterans Camp 2201. Recruiting additional new members,
these gentlemen submitted their charter application which was granted in September of 2011.
On 29 June, 2013, the Arizona Territory C.S.A. Camp 2233 submitted its
charter application. The Camp, headquartered in Show Low in the White Mountains, is the Division's 11th Camp.
On 29 September, 2014, the
Colonel Thomas Green Camp 2251 submitted its charter application. The Camp, headquartered in Apache Junction, becomes
the Division's 12th Camp.
In its short existence,
the Arizona Division has grown from a single Camp of 20 some members to tweleve Camps with nearly 200 full,
associate and corporate members. Plans are in place to organize and recharter the Confederates of La Paz Camp 1572 in
the Bouse-Salome area.