Page 2

He had administered first aid to them and was giving them morphine shots. We loaded and strapped one on the left fender and I held the other on the right fender as he drove the half track to safety. It was one hell of a battle witnessed by this nineteen year old kid as we came out on the loosing end with many dead and wounded and it was reported 15 of 17 tanks knocked out with a corporal left as the highest rank in the Company.We moved our half-track in the field to the right of the small lane, crawled under and started digging but it was rocky and hard digging. A message come in an our radio the morning of the 10th. for Col, Hogan who had set up in the field opposite us and I started out when the shells were coming in again. I hit the ground and noticed Leo Zemitus walking around, He told me if you are going to got hit it has your name on it. He was with our A Btry B.C. liason tract with Hogan. I made it to Col Hogan's half-track as another barrage came in. Hogan and crew had soft ground or they must have dug a hole and pulled the half-track over it, and it was deep as they were all in the hole. I gave the message to Col. Hogan and was half way back when I saw a medic with Zemitus on the ground with a piece of shrapnel had passed through his arm. The night before the Germans had crept in Hogan's field and tried to throw hand grenades under the vehicles but were shot. In the morning of August 10th. an attack was made down the small road toward RJ 272 by the 119th. 30th. Infantry with Lt. Patterson and Sgt Marik but it failed and very few returned. I saw a medic loading a man with his chin cut off and another with his arm hanging in his sleeve, also a Sgt. who not wounded was in terrible shape. Patterson and Marik were 0 K. On the morning of the 11th. other elements of CCB had broken through to us and another attack was made to the right of our half-track. The tank "Hot Hedy" an M5 light tank from Headquaters 391 st. forward observer section, with Bill Fullarton, Summers, Sergeant Ray Pierce and 1st. Lt. John Forston to give artillery support for another Company of the119th.,30th. Infantry Division. The Germans were waiting for them as they reached the next hedgerow and let loose with artillery and machine gun fire. I was in the hole under our half-track as a 2nd. Lt. knelt and waved his men forward and as they passed our half-track they were mowed down. The men retreated and the dead and wounded were brought in by the medics. An all out attack was planned for the next morning. Lt.Patterson and Sgt. Marik crawled down our hedgerow and crossed over and picked out some targets, on the crossroads for the next morning. Patterson saw a German run into a house and he blew it up with with arti1lery. Our tanks were getting ready to lead us in the morning attack. That night while on guard duty, something caused me to freeze in my tracks and I could not move. It was an unfamiliar sound that turned out to be a buzz bomb or rocket. It exploded after the motor stopped about a mile away. That evening and night the Germans pulled out and we were able to go 100 yards and reach our objective, the RJ 272. We turned around and headed back to CCB Headquarters. Then we received orders to help close the Felaise Gap. It was good to be on the road again after spending three days and nights in the same hole under the half-track. I was thinking of Lt. Cooper and beginning to wish I was him.

Back to Mortain