The B.C. party was having it just as rough. They were with the 2nd Battalion of the 33rd Armored Regiment and the shells fell like hail for days in and around their position. On the morning of the 9th. it was particularly bad but Tec. 5 Leo Zemitus wanted to see them fall and wouldn't take cover. A fragment passed through his arm and he was taken to the 91st Evacuation Hospital. Cpl. Thomas J. Lattinville Jr. was hit in the hand by another fragment but was given firs-, aid and remained on duty. The rest of the B.C. party, Lt. Sterne, Tec. 4 Wornell, Pvt. John P. Wood, and Pvt. Truman Fanning, were all up in the thick of it and were given a Bronze Star at a later date for heroic achievement against the enemy. At this point they saw one company of our tanks so depleted by enemy fire that a Corporal was company commander, and out of a total of 17 tanks the company had only two. No wonder it was called Purple Heart Hill.
A battalion of infantry of the 30th Infantry Division was cut off and surrounded nearby but they kept on fighting. Medical supplies were loaded in artillery shells and fired in to them.
On the 11 th. the battery gam' a formation of 18 C-47`s fly in at tree top height. headed straight for enemy lines. We knew how heavy the enemy flak barrage was and we hoped they would get through safely but really doubted if they would. Every one watched them with his fingers crossed. They got close to the enemy lines and the flak came up like hail but the enemy was really unprepared and they sailed through it, dropped their supplies to the loth Battalion, did a sharp turn and came back over us. doors open, static lines hanging out, but still in perfect formation and still at tree top height. We counted them and every man was glad when they were all there. This happened on the 11th, with the same repeated on the 12th, and we sweated them out just as much the second day as the first. They all made it the second day, too.
The back of the counter offensive had been broken by the 12th and we prepared for march order. It had been a bloody battle and the fire of the artillery had played a large part in breaking it up. We were relieved from supporting the 30th Infantry Division and went back in with C.C.B. of the 3rd Armored Division. We were supposed to drive all night and then have a combination rest and maintenance period. We started out on Saturday evening August 12th about 15:00 hours and waited on the road until dark before moving on.
After the heavy air activity of the past five nights we were all a little apprehensive about our all night drive. The Luftwaffe didn't show up however and we drove south all night, then north-east until 6:30 the morning of the 13th. We pulled in all tired out, and thought we were going to get a rest and a chance to eat and clean up a bit. Our eyes were red from lad, of sleep and driving into the wind all night and we all needed sleep pretty badly. We were not to be lucky enough to get it however because when everyone had breakfast on the fire we heard "March Order".
We were to support a new attack, which was starting that day. It was an encircling movement that was to take us sleep into France and trap the German 7th. Army. So we pulled out after swallowing a few bites of a half cooked breakfast. Our eyes were still red and burning and half shut from loss of sleep as we headed straight into the rising sun. The first large town we came to in daylight on that Sunday morning was Mayenne. Evidence of the battle fought there was all around. The railway yards were pocked marked with bomb crater. Building in the center of town were a mass of ruins and rubble.

Back to Mortain