8 August 1944
  • The 58th Armored Field Artillery Bn. was attached to the 391st groupment at 1230 hours. CCB and the 391st group were relieved from the 1st Infantry Division and attached to the 30th Infantry Division at 0001 hours. Teams 1 and 2 of CCB attacked from the east and south with the objective Le Mesnil Tov. Team 1 attacked with the 119th Inf. Regiment, and Team 2 attacked alone. The 391st supported both of these teams in the attack. Team I drove toward Le Mesnil Tov from the west while team 2 attacked from the south with the mission of cutting the road, securing the high ground overlooking the road, and repelling any further German counter-attacks in that area. By 2400 the objective had been reached. Team 3 of CCB with the 2nd Bn, 119th Inf. Regiment attached, supported by the 58th Armored Field Artillery Bn, went into an assembly area about 3 miles southwest of Juvigny-le-Terte and prepared to repel any enemy counter-attack from the east. The 391st fired some 23 missions today, on enemy strong points, roads, enemy gun batteries, mortars, anti-tank guns, infantry, and on towns controlled and used by the enemy. 2nd Lt. William M. Toneff was lightly wounded and evacuated during the day.
    9 August 1944
  • Teams I and 2 of CCB continued the attack with the 30th Infantry Division to secure the high ground overlooking the main road east of Le Mesnil Tov. This force met heavy resistance all day and were under constant fire from heavy enemy artillery units and 21omm rocket guns. Team 3 attacked east through Neufberg and reached their objective, the high ground l000 yards north of Abbye-Blanche. During the day Pfc. Clarence B. West, HQ Btry, was killed by mortar fire. Captain William R. Snellings was lightly wounded and evacuated. S/Sgt. Joseph Urich, Sv. Btry, was seriously injured and evacuated, and Pvt. Green J. Metcalf, Sv. Btry, was lightly injured, treated by Bn. aid men and returned to duty, when the vehicle in which they were hauling ammunition turned over on a turn.
    10 August 1944
  • The attack continued against heavy resistance. The battalion fired missions on enemy batteries and tanks during the day. 2nd Lt. John E. Fehl (replacement) reported for duty and was sent to the 2nd Bn., 36th Armored Infantry Regiment as an observer. Enemy aircraft were overhead in force during the night but no casualties were inflicted. Sgt. Elmer E. Deshazer, Btry B, was seriously wounded and evacuated. Private Rudolph Katz, Btry B, was lightly wounded and remained on duty after treatment at the Battalion Aid Station. Pfc. James J. Morgan, and Pvt. Frank A. Fava, both of the Medical Detachment, and both on Detached Service with the 33rd Armored Regiment, were evacuated - exhaustion.
    11 August 1944
  • It was relative quiet on the front. The Germanattemp to break through had evidently been given up. At. 1500, CCB was relieved from the 30th, Infantry Division, and at 1800 the task forces were withdrawn from the objectives. This evening at 2020 the battalion displaced from position west of Juvigny-leTerte and in column with CCB, moved all through the night,
  • Click for Mortain