3 August 1944
  • The battalion remained in position east of Coulouvray Boisbenatre to support the continued attack of the 4th Infantry Division, and to give direct support to CCB's attack to bypass St. Pois and capture Cherence-le-Roussel. The 8th Infantry Regiment captured St. Pois, and the 12th Infantry Regiment relieved Team 2 of CCB, which had been furnishing security on the left flank. A sizable pocket of enemy including tanks, infantry, and supporting artillery was trapped north of the positions of the 391st, in the vicinity of and in the Foret de St. Sever. The batteries continued to fire close in missions all day. Lt. Toneff was with the 2nd Bn, 8th Infantry Regiment, as forward observer. B Battery took one prisoner during the day.
    4 August 1944
  • CCB continued to attack on Cherence-le-Roussel, and the battalion remained in position to support this attack. The objective was reached at 2300. Battery A fired three propaganda shells in the early morning. Other missions were fired on enemy/ infantry and artillery. Sgt. Theodore D. Root, HQ Btry, was seriously wounded when friendly S7 mm fire penetrated the left side of the FO 2 tank turrent.
    5 August 1944
  • CCB remained on its objective and consolidated positions. Lt. Toneff was relieved from assignment as forward observer with 2nd Bn, 8th Inf. Regiment. The battalion executive officer reconnoitered for new positions north of Reffuveille in the early evening. 6 August 1944- The battalion displaced from positions east of Coulouvray Boisbenatre at 0900 and closed in position north of Reffuveille at 102o. The remainder of the day was spent in cleaning clothes and equipment and in servicing vehicles. CCB was relieved from the 4th Infantry Division and attached to the 1st Infantry Division this date. The 87th Armored Field Artillery Battalion was relieved from the 391st Groupment and reverted to VII Corps control at 2400.
    7 August 1944
  • The battalion continued to clean and service equipment. A shower point was set up in the area. At 0930, Teams 1 and 2 of CCB were called out to repel an enemy penetration from the cast through Cherence-leRoussel to Le Mesnil Gilbert. Forward observers and reconnaissance officers reported to their teams to act artillery observers. This was the beginning of the major German counter-attack at Mortain, designed to break through to the sea, cutting off First and Third Army elements which were driving deep into France. The battalion fired on tanks and enemy personnel between 1400 and 1520, expending 295 rounds. The tanks were scattered and CCB was able to turn local counter attack. At 2100, the battalion displaced from the rest and assembly area to positions at le Gue, about 4,000 yards west of Juvigny-le-Terte.

    Next Page