Page 2

When Paul Kline drove up he parked his car near the bridge and walked up the same way as he had forty-five years ago. He hugged me as he said he remembered me during l944. We walked to his grandfather's old house and it was painful for him to talk about his dead family. When I asked where He had come from in 1944,he told me he and 50-60 others had been hiding in a cellar for five days and would not come out until the second day we arrived because they wanted to make sure we were Americans in U S uniforms. They would send the kids out for apples. Paul sneaked out the day before and when he saw his dead grandfather with his feet sticking out the front door he hurried back. They then made a quick visit to see their dead relatives and escaped to the village of Moulin du Ruy.
Paul said they would have been killed also if we had not taken the town. He then showed me the plaque near the little church named St.Lucie across the bridge where they had gathered for five years to worship during the Germany occupation.. It had 24 names including Monique's mother, Paul's family and his 3 cousins Killed in a house near where I was wounded. I had remembered these events but never told anyone because I knew it would be hard for anyone to believe.
43 years later, a Historian named Henri Rogister, had a letter put in our 3 A D Assn. newsletter asking if any one was in Parfondruy and had seen a 2 year baby girl named Monique Marquet. I answered saying I was there and what happened, and drew a map. saying I had seen a boy and little girl. After months of correspondence with Monique and she wrote that the SS had ushered her mother and 15 other people in a barn and shot them. She was the only survivor found two days later half-frozen with 3 bullet holes in her thighs. She was taken to the villa Epilogue and was sure she was there when our FO section stopped and gave first aid .One of our guys, Bill Whitten called me and said he remembered giving first aid to a baby in a crib in 1944.
After 18 months of correspondence with Monique and Henri Rogister, My wife Margaret and I decided to accept an invitation to visit. We rented a house for a month in Stavelot across the street from Monique, flew to Frankfort, Germany rented a car and drove to Stavelot. We were escorted around the battle sights in the Ardennes by Historians and Committee people. We attended affairs and were given gifts and plaques one of which were in honor of the 3 AD capture of Malempre, on Jan. 3, l945. We made two trips to Stolberg, Germany to visit with Historian Gunther von Der Weiden and was escorted to old battle sights and the" dragon teeth" where with Task Force Lovelady we had captured the first German town and bridghead the Ziegfried line on September 12, l944.
We capped our trip off by spending three days in the Wiesbaden-Frankfort area visiting our Spearhead museum and five days in Paris. Our visit had been a wonderful experience and we promised everyone we would be back at least for the 50 th. years later Historians Henri Rogister of Liege and Eddy Monfort of Malempre, Belgium visited with us for 22 days for meetings on the B.O.B. with several Historians and Bill Merriken, a survivor of the Malmedy Massacre. We toured the East Coast with State B.O.B. meetings and flew to Reno Ne. where they were our guest of honor at the 3 AD reunion for 5 days. They then flew to Seattle, Wash. for meetings with other veterans.
One of the highlights of their trip was a visit with Col. Lovelady in Orlando, FL. and in Birmingham, Ala. where over 50 attended a luncheon for them and a reunion with friend Charles Hunter.

Back to Parfondruy Revisited