• 2 September 1944
    Elements of CCB trains were cut off during the night and were unable to deliver fuel and lubricants. Consequently the attack was delayed to 1200 hours. All elements pushed forward rapidly against moderate opposition. The beleagered position of Headquarters Battery and the Medical Detachment joined the rest of the battery at o9oo hours. The attack approached Mons. Four columns of the Division reached out for the prize with two following all stretching out long and thin. The Belgian border was crossed at h 6oo. Constant cross traffic of German vehicles and personnel were encountered and written off. Every man, every vehicle saw action. Maubeuge was siezed and Mons entered and outposted at 2145 hours. Slaughter of the remnants of the15th German army was terrific. Columns of foot troops marching in cadence, convoys of vehicles, an estimated 40,000 troops in retreat were in the trap unknowingly. The fighting continued through the night as the trains moved up.
    At 2240, FO 13 Headquarters Third Armored Division directed the division to continue the attack swinging to the east to seize and secure the towns of Namur. Private-_ First Class William Fitzgerald, B Battery, was killed in action.

    Guys that never fired their weapons before got their guns off today. Can't see how the Heinies can be so stupid. They were all over the place. Tanks, halftracks, and foot troops-they'd just wander into us-going hell-bent for election. CC A was behind us on the left two columns driving north and it funneled 'em all up our way. Just like shooting fish in a rain barrel. Boys back in the trains had a little rough time o f it with their six by sixes. But they accounted for their share. Beaucoup excitement-something new every minute. And, wow, did you see those gals in Mons when we came thru! Small arms fire on every street and there they were laughing and crying and smiling. I f I could go, a little rifle fire couldn't keep me out o f Mons tonight. Um, um!

  • 3 September 1944
    The Third Armored Division organized and prepared for defense positions around Mons while waiting for fuel, lubricants, and ammunition. CCA mopped up inside of Mons and CCB organized and established roadblocks north and west of Mons. During this day the division captured over 26oo prisoners, including 2 general officers and general field officers. Great quantities of German equipment and transport were destroyed by continued air ground operations; including one column of 400 vehicles all destroyed or abandoned. Roadblocks were held during the day and night thereby denying the enemy his planned avenues of escape.
    In the early morning hours two supply trains and the cub airport were cut off. Infantry small arms fire kept two planes on the ground. A platoon of light tanks were sent to secure them. In the late afternoon the seige of the airport was lifted and the planes flown into the battalion positions. Medium tanks were sent to escort the trains to the task force position. Battalion trains captured 280 prisoners for the period 02-03 September.
    Lieutenant Toneff was lightly wounded and evacuated, Technician Firth Grade Rupert C. Oldham, Service Battery, also. Private Ellis M. Aplin, Battery A, was missing in action.
  • 4 September 1944
    The division continued to occupy defensive positions in the Mons area awaiting relief by the First Infantry Division. Several more thousand prisoners were added to the fields of Germans already taken and the destruction of enemy materiel continued. Early in the previous evening several American airmen who had been courageously sheltered by Belgians for months turned in to the battalion.
    At 14oo hours elements of the First Infantry Division relieved the division and the Third Armored Division jumped off to attack for the objective of Namur. Resistance was moderate and disorganized and consisted of small arms, antitank, and mortar fire. Advance was rapid, delayed by blown bridges and small isolated pockets of resistance. CCB reached and secured the objective Namur south of the Meuse River at 2r3o hours. The battalion was still enrooted at 2400 hours. Private Nicholas M. Caprinolo, Battery A, was killed by accidental discharge of his own weapon at the battery position north of Ghlin, near Mons.
  • Next Page