Excerpts from History of Fayette County published
Fayette County Courthouse;
Court Street, Fayetteville, West Virginia
From the Newsletter, Volume X, Issue 4, April, 2004
The first courthouse cost approximately $3,000 and served the county
until it became
a victim of the Civil War. According to war records, the courthouse was burned to
the ground by Union forces on October 19, 1861. A new courthouse was constructed
shortly after the end of the Civil War. As the county grew, this building was not
adequate so in 1887 funds were alloted for a new courthouse. After only six years of
service, April, 1893, this building also burned.
The cost of reconstruction of the next new courthouse was $58,297.00
value of the brick and stone salvaged from the burned courthouse. The county
officials proudly accepted this new courthouse (present one) on November 22,
1895. The interior features a simple but dignified design. There is a vaulted brick
ceiling in the basement, a cast-iron stairway to the bell tower, corner fireplaces,
five-panel oak doors, fanlights above the entrance vestibule and court-room, and
decorative brass plates and door knobs. The floors are tile, the walls covered
with solid oak wainscoting. The exterior is distinctive also. Two porches feature
heavy stone columns which support a balustraded balcony. The arches in the
second story windows and the openings of the belfry are graced by rock-faced
stonework. The louvered belfry is a beautiful feture. It representing both
humans and animals are found on the corner chimneys and also a circular design
in the gable of the center dormer. Additions to the rear of the building were
constructed in 1948, 1958 and 1976.
It was accepted for the National Register September 6, 1978.
Fayette County Courthouse
From the Fayette Tribune, Monday, June 27, 1983
In September, 1978 the Fayette County Courthouse was accorded the
being entered on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. Placement of
this building brought official United States Government recognition that this
site is of state and local historical significance. Entry on this National
Register ensured a battery of federal protections to this property from
federally financed undertakings which might damage or alter the historical
character of this property; entry on the register also brings eligibility for
certain types of federal aid for rehibilitation or restoration.
The Fayette County Courthouse, built in 1895, is a very good example
Neo-Romanesque Revival style made popular in the United States by the
great American architect Henry Hobson Richardson, that was popular during
the late nineteenth century. The courthouse was designed by the prominent
Wheeling architects Edward B. Franzheim and Millard F. Tiesey, to replace
the one destroyed by fire in 1893, and contains bricks used from the
previous structure. Built to accommodate a growing county government
during the coal-boom era , the courthouse has served as the center of
administrative and political life for Fayette County for over 80 years.
The Fayette County Courthouse is one of the few remaining examples
the Neo-Romanesque Revival style in this area of the state. Though its
use of brick is not altogether in keeping with that style, its basement level
use of rock-faced masonry certainly is. The courthouse architecture
shows a generous use of lintels and arches, belt courses and small
ornamental panels between the second and third floors, along with its stair
tower and symmetrically place brick chimneys which excellently personify
the period style. The courthouse is also graced on the exterior with
porches of balustraded stone balconies and a paneled brick parapet at the
roofline, as well as an ornamented louvered belfry. Cast iron stairways,
original 1890s tile, pressed tin ceilings and five-panel doors with
decorative brass plates and knobs are some of the fetures that make the
interior not only beautiful but of historic importance. Situated in the
business section of Fayetteville, the courthouse is seperated from other
buildings by streets and an open area, so that its view remains prominent.
Although additions have been made to the original structure, they have
served to compliment rather than conflict with its unique and original
Abraham and Mary Vandal -
First Settlers of Fayetteville
From History of FAyette County published in 1993.
Abraham and Mary (Dioon) Vandal moved from Vandal's Mountian, now
called Fork Mountian, to a farm on the present site of Fayetteville in 1812.
It was then in Giles County, VA and on the State Road between Virginia
and Kentucky. The couple operated an "ordinary" inn at their farmhouse
to provide food and lodging for travelers. The place was known as
Vandalia until 1837, when the name Fayetteville was adopted.
Abraham was born in 1758 in Dutchess County, NY, and Mary was born
1763 in Augusta County, VA. They married in 1780 in Rockbridge County,
VA while Abraham was still serving with the New York State Militia,
guarding wagon trains in the Shenandoah Valley.
Mary died at New Haven (now Ansted) in 1840, and Abraham died there
in 1848. Both lived out the last years of their lives at the farmhouse of
their daughter, Mary, wife of James Bracee Westlake. Their graves, in
the Vandal-Westlake Cemetery at Ansted, bearmemorial markers
provided by the Daughters of the American Revolution.
The West Virginia Hillbilly - September 4, 1996 (page 10)
The Fayette County National Bank first opened its doors August 6,
1900, at which
time it was known as The Fayetteville National Bank. The name was changed to
its present title in 1906, and the bank building has been standing at the corner of
Court and Maple Avenue in Fayetteville, right on the town square, since that time.
But nearly a century earlier, on this spot stood Abraham Vandal's
farm house, a
stage stop on the State Road between Richmond, Virginia and Lexington,
Kentucky. An "ordinary" inn was maintained there by the Vandals to provide
food, drink and lodging for weary wayfarers, as well as shelter and provisions for
This stage stop, and the settlers who came and stayed, formed a tiny
that was known as Vandalia until 1837.
Who was this Abraham Vandal, the early day's innkeeper? He
was born in
Dutchess County, New York in 1758, and served the New York State Militia
during the Revolutionary War. While still a militiaman, guarding the supply
trains of the Continental Army, he married Mary Dillon in 1780, in Rockbridge
County, Virginia, and came home to her there when hostilities ceased.
The couple lived there on a farm near the village of Natural Bridge
taking care of their five oldest children. Then they moved to Greenbrier
County and settled on the road which is now known as Fork Mountain.
In 1812, Abraham Vandal purchased 200 acres, including the present
Fayetteville, from a man named Reed. This was part of the Lewis Stuart
lands, and a portion of of the Andrew Moore/John Beckley 170,038 acre
Survey. When Abraham bought the land it was located in Giles County,
Virginia and was described as "The Loop Creek and Clear Fork of the Cole
River District". Later, in 1824, when Logan County was created, this area
was included in the County.
Fayette County, Virginia was organized in 1831, with its county court
meeting in New Haven (now Ansted), and it wasn't until 1837 that the seat
of government was moved to its present location. The name of the settle-
ment was changed to Fayetteville at that time.
1837 was also the year that Abraham Vandal, age 79, retired, and
of his posessions to his youngest son, Edward Dillon Vandal, in accordance
with the terms of a Maintenance Agreement to take care of his parents
for their remaining years. Mary died in 1840 and Abraham in 1848.
Edward Dillon Vandal, who was the fifth Sheriff of Fayette County,
serving from 1840 until 1842, sold the "home place" of 180 acres to
Philo N. Platt for $2,000 on February 8, 1841, and a year later he moved
with his family to Rush County, Indiana.
Philo Platt continued to operate the stage stop and "ordinary" for
several years but the farm house, reportedly, was destroyed during the
So, some 60 years after the Vandal family gave up their property
Fayetteville area, it became the site of the Fayette County National
Bank building. No vestige remains of the old farm house stage stop,
but this spot is of historic interest to all who are aware of the county's
There are several thousand descendants of Abraham and Mary Vandal,
living today in almost every state of the Union, and many of these, who
meet in family reunions, will be especially interested in Fayetteville
because their ancestors really "started" the town.
Abraham Vandal, Founder of Fayetteville
excerpts from History of Fayette County published in 1993
Abraham VAndall was born the 18th day of October, 1758 Dutchess
County, New York, and married Mary Dillon (1763-1840). He was a
Revolutioary War soldier serving in New York and was in the battles
for Long Island and White Plains with George Washington.
Abraham moved with his family to Rockbridge County, Virginia in
1873, later moving to Greenbrier County and after 12-14 years
moved to the present town of Fayetteville. In the year 1818 the
community was first called Vandalia.
The first county court met in Abraham Vandall's home but $1500.00
was levied in 1838 for the purpose of erecting a courthouse near a
dead chestnut tree in Vandall's rye field. The present courthouse is
the fourth to stand on the site.
Abraham and Mary had the following children: Charity, married
Charles McClung; James, married Sarah Boggs; John, married
Nancy Boggs; Joel Worth, married Charity Davis; Jamima, married
Thomas Davis; Mary, married James Westlake; Elizabeth, married
Samuel Masterson; and Edward, married Mary Davis.
Joel Worth's son, Joseph Vandall, was born on the 20th day of
January, 1824, and died between 1900 and 1910, married Elizabeth
Fox, daughter of William Fox.
Joseph Vandall was a member of Thurmond's Partisan Rangers
during the Civil War.
Joseph and Elizabeth had the following children: Ruth, married
Charles Caraway; Virginia, married Lorenzo Davis; Charity(single);
Elizabeth (single); James, married Ann Caraway; Sarah (single);
Thomas, married Rebecca Carraway; Sabina (single); Emily,
married George Washington Smith Jr.; Renick, married a Fox;
and Ginerva, (unknown).
Emily Vandall, born the 18th day of October, 1864, Fayette
County, died the 2nd day of January, 1905, married George W.
Smith Jr., the son of George W. Smith, Sr. and Catherine Bennett.
Emily and George had the following children: Berta, married Wade
Surbaugh; Bessie, married Oliver Arthur; Glenville, married
Lucinda Gwinn; Wayne, married Parthena Davis; Arthur, married
Ruffina Plumley; Ada, married Harry Martin; Ola, married
Nellie Kincaid; Charles Ota, married Flora Arthur; and Emily
Mae, married William Hutchinson.
Abram Walker Vandel
From the Newsletter, Volume VIII, Issue 3, January, 2002
Abram Walker Vandel, born 1846 in Galesburg, Illinois, died in 1908
Pleasanton, Iowa. Abram served as a Union soldier in the Civil War. He ran away
from home and enlisted at the age of 16. His parents brought him back but
apparently relented and he again enlisted, serving until the war ended. He was on
the muster roll of Company L, 12th Illinois Cavalry, which was mustered into U.S.
Service June 12, 1864 at Camp Butler, Illinois during the Civil War.
In the July, 1990 issue of "The Vandal Newsletter", there is an article
titled "When Did He Go With the Mormons?" The article stated that John Dillon
Vandal was reported to have gone west with the Mormons. It appears that John did
join the Mormon Church. On December 4, 1894 temple work was performed for
John D. Vandal in the Mormon temple at St. George, Utah by Henry William
Bigler. Henry W. Bigler was one of a large group who joined the Church in
Harrison Co., WV about 1837 and moved to Missouri and then to Nauvoo, IL.
Henry was very close to the early leaders of the Mormon Church. He was sent as
a missionary to Jackson Co., WV in 1839/40 and again in 1843/44. He was a
member of the Mormon Battalion, a group of about 500 Mormons who enlisted in
1846 during the war with Mexico and marched from the Missouri river to the
Pacific Coast. In California, before traveling to Utah, he was working at "Sutters
Fort". His diary entry on Monday, January 24, 1848, is taken as the official
record of the date of the discovery of gold there. He was called as a missionary
to the Sandwich Islands for the first time in 1850; was called as a missionary there
several more times, serving about 11 years. He was later called on a colonization
mission to southern Utah and became one of the pioneer settlers of St. George.
The following informtion is recorded in the St. George
temple records on December 4, 1894.
John D. Vandal, born in 1786 in Greenbrier Co., VA, died in
October, 1851, a friend to Henry William Bigler.
In the block for the death date is recorded the words "was in the
never gathered". Church members were encouraged to move to where the
members were locating during the early organization of the Mormon Church.
It appears that John D. Vandal joined the Church but did not chose to "gather"
with the other members. Henry W. Bigler did temple work for about 25 of his
"friends" from Jackson Co., VA in 1894. This included Nancy Boggs (wife of
John D. Vandal) born in 1793 in Greenbrier Co., VA and died in 1858, and
Napoleon Bonaparte Vandal (son of John D) born in Fayette Co., VA and
died in 1864. Napoleon had also joined the Mormon Church.
These "friends" of Henry W. Bigler were probably people who he had
baptized or had shown interest in the Church during his time as a missionary
there in 1839/40 and 1843/44. Some of these people lived in the part of
Jackson County that became Wirt County in 1848 since they are close
neighbors in the 1850 Wirt Co. census including John D. Vandal, Napoleon B.
Vandal, William and Delila Roach, Mary Parsons Carney, Silas B. and
Margaret Seaman, and Beniah Depue.
Submitted by Phyllis W. Harmon
often ask about the name. Answering the question requires
a trip back to the earliest roots of West Virginia - to the time of British
King George and his German queen; Ben Franklin and his compatriots;
of land deals and western settlement; and of the awakening desire for a free
government in the mountains.
Vandalia was a proposed British-American colony west of the Eastern
Seaboard, one of several land settlement projects from the late Colonial
period. These schemes arose out of the general ferment of the years
between the French and Indian War and the American Revolution, as
settlers moved beyond easy reach of eastern governments. The dream
of separate western governments was realized in different form after the
Revolution, with the creation of the of the states of Kentucky, Tennessee
and Ohio. What is now West Virginia, through its long history of
dissatisfaction with the government in Richmond, can trace its origins
back to these pre-Revolutionary desires for western independence.
The Vandalia Colony originated in the land speculation of influential
Englishmen and prominent Colonial Americans, some of whom became
America's Founding Fathers. In 1768, Benjamin Franklin was one of the
organizers of the Great Ohio Company, which sought to acquire Ohio
Valley lands for settlement. Franklin's group proposed the creation of
Vandalia as a 14th colony, with its capital at Point Pleasant. The new
colony would have included almost all of present West Virginia, except
for the Eastern Panhandle, and much of Kentucky. In 1773, George
Washington cited the possible establishment of Vandalia in advertising his
Kanawha River lands for sale.
The proposed Vandalia colony was named as a political gesture to
QueenC harlotte, wife of George III, who claimed descent from the
Vandal Tribe through her birth to German nobility. The Vandalia
backers brought their plans almost to success in the early 1770's,
when deterioration of the American political situation made the British
government back off. When those problems were resolved by the
Revolutionary War, King George was in no position to authorize
governments of any sort in the American West.
Thus the word Vandalia is rich in West Virginia heritage. It occurs as a
place name in several parts of our state, and it makes a fitting name
for the statewide folk festival dedicated to keeping the old ways alive.
Submitted by Willa Vandall
James Lloyd Vandall
From the Newsletter, Volume VII, Issue 6, October 2000
James Lloyd Vandall married Betty Willey and they had two children.
a Wiseman and they have a daughter, Jessica. James Brady Vandall is their son.
James Lloyd Vandall adopted Betty's son Michael Willey, who has one daughter and
one son. James and Betty were divorced and James then married Betty Dunn.
Phyllis Eudora Vandall married James Lewis Foster on August 27, 1960. They have
two daughters, Jennifer and Laurie. Phyllis is the daughter of U. Earl and Ina Vandall.
The youngest son of Earl and Ina Vandall is Danny Brown Vandall. His wife is Jane
Ella Lemmon. Their daughter is Melinda Jane Vandall Gore and her husband is Jason
Gore. Dannny Wayne Vandall is the son of Earl and Ina Vandall.
Charles Dillard Vandell (Thomas James 5, Thomas Stewart 4, Joel Worth
Abraham 2, James Earl 1) was born May 12, 1890 in Decatur County, Iowa.
Married Feb. 18, 1914 at Corydon, Iowa to Dora Elizabeth Casey, daughter
of Ashbel Green and Caroline Centna (Owen) Casey; born Sept. 19, 1889 on a
farm 4 miles northwest of Clio, Iowa in Wayne County. Charles Dillard was a
farmer all his life - went to North Dakota and staked and claimed but stayed
less than 2 years. Retired in 1966 from his farm 5 miles southwest of
Humeston, Iowa - purchased the McCollough property in southeast Humeston
and moved Nov. 1966. He was a member of Christian Church and Dopra was a
member of the Highland Baptist Church. Dora died Sept. 10, 1944 at age 54.
She had a stroke 2 years before. Buried at Clio Cemetery South side of road.
1. Carl Ralph, born Feb. 16, 1915 Wayne County, Iowa
2. Clara Iomogene, born Feb. 28, 1916 Wayne County, Iowa
3. Evelyn May, born April 4, 1917 Wayne County, Iowa
4 & 5. Ruth Eleanor & Ruby Caroline (twins) born Aug. 15, 1918 near
6. Roy Dale, born March 7, 1920 died June 11, 1940 Wayne County
7. Dwight Wayne, born June 15, 1921 in Mercer County, Missouri
8. Kenneth Green, born Sept. 8, 1922 in Pembina County, N Dakota
9. Alta Maria, born Jan. 18, 1924 in Wayne County, Iowa
10. Robert James, born May 10, 1925 near Lineville, Iowa
11. Erma Faye, born Sept. 8, 1926 near Clio, Iowa
From the Newsletter Volume VI, Issue 2, Dated October, 1997.
MORE INFORMATION ON ABRAHAM'S ANCESTORS FOUND
Searching for more information on Abraham's ancestors, I tried looking through the archives of a company named Broderbund Software. I located a man named Hendrikus Wendel, which we believe is the name of Abraham's father. They showed that there was a CD available under "Family Tree Maker's World Family Tree", Volume 8 that had a pedigree which included his name. I ordered the CD and found that parts of it agreed exactly with what we already had on Abraham's ancestors but had more detail. It looks like it may have been prepared by the Du Trieux family. Susanna Du Trieux was the wife of Evert Jansen Wendell. So, briefly, the information goes like this:
HENDRIKUS WENDEL, FATHER OF ABRAHAM VANDAL
Born August 3, 1719, he was the tenth son of twelve children of Abraham Wendell and Katrina De Kay. All the children are named and their spouses and dates.
ABRAHAM WENDELL, FATHER OF HENDRIKUS WENDEL
Born December 27, 1678 in Albany, NY, he was the first of eleven children of Johannes Wendell. All the children are named and their spouses and dates - some locations. He died September 28, 1734 in Boston, Mass. He married Katrina De Kay on May 15, 1702 in New York. He was an importer.
JOHANNES WENDELL, FATHER OF ABRAHAM WENDELL
Born February 2, 1649 in New Amsterdam, (now called Manhattan Island). He was the third of nine children of Evert Jansen and Susanne Wendell. He died November 20, 1691. His wife was Elizabeth Staats whose parents were Abraham and Catrina Jochemes Wessel Staats. Her first husband was Johannes Schuylen. It is possible that some of the children listed as being born to her and her second husband were actually children from her first marriage whom her second husband adopted. She died on June 3, 1737. Johannes Wendell was Justice of the Peace and Mayor of Albany, New York and a large land owner.
EVERT JANSEN WENDELL, FATHER OF JOHANNES WENDELL
Born in 1615 in Emblen, East Friesland, he died in 1709 in Albany, New York. On July 3, 1644, he married Susanna Du Trieux in Montgomery, New Amsterdam. She was born in 1626 in New Amsterdam and died in 1660 in Ft. Orange (Albany), New York. Susanna's parents wee Philippe Anton and Susanna Du Chesne Du Trieux. Quite a bit is written about Philippe Du Trieux and won't be covered here except to say that he was born in Robaix, Belgium, emigrated to Holland and then to New Amsterdam in 1624 on the ship "New Netherland". Evert Jansen Wendell is shown to have been an orphan. He was in the service of the Dutch West India Company in 1640 and a master in 1657. He came to America in 1640 and to Ft. Orange in 1651. He was buried under the old church then standing at the corner of Yonker and Handelser St. (State and Broadway) in Albany, NY.
submitted by Chuck Hield