Winlink 2000 is a concept and available to all licensed
amateurs for personal and public service use. It can be a fairly complex
and expensive system to use with all its possibilities, but is also simple,
inexpensive, and straight forward to begin. This is a step by step plan to
make your life easy and to begin to use the world wide communications
foundation. The Winlink 2000 web site is
Expense Level I - it cost you nothing
- Download a copy of Airmail at the
Page. It works with Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP and Vista.
It works on Apple Mac computers with a PC emulator.
- Install the program on your computer. Restart your computer.
- Set up initially with the
Set Up Wizard.
- Set up
- Set up the Telnet Module and learn to use it.
Expense Level IIa - it cost you $80 - $1500 to purchase a TNC
(I personally like Kantronics and SCS. Used ones are
frequently a good value.)
- If no one else in your area is using Winlink, help someone else use
- Set up the
Packet Module and get packet operational.
Expense Level III - if you were planning far enough ahead, you obtained a
KAM (Plus, 98, or XL) or SCS modem and may now advance with no additional expense, otherwise, you
will need another $80 - $1500 modem for HF.
- Set up the
HF Module and learn to use it.
(You do have a license to operate on HF don't you?)
Expense Level IV - it cost you nothing else
- If you are interested in being a part of, or using, the ARRL Digital
National Traffic System you may use Airmail to connect to any NTSD Area MBO,
NTS Winlink Classic or Airmail
station, to send and receive NTS messages for your
city, county/parish, section, or region. Contact AE5V, W4ZJY, or WX4J through Winlink for more details.
Airmail use is simple - click
here. General NTS information is straightforward -
Expense Level V - it cost you nothing more to use it all !!
- Open Airmail.
- Open the Telnet Module and connect to your favorite CMS or RMS.
- Open the VHF Module and connect to your favorite RMS or NTS MBO.
- Open the HF Module and connect to your favorite NTSD MBO or WL2K RMS.
- Consider joining Army MARS.
Set up RMS Express which has similar functions ...
Use this for more details and more specific programs ...
Frequently asked questions about Winlink 2000 - a great resource