- Good Habits for Following
- (Time estimate =
- Learn to follow directions.
- Understand how mistakes are made when
- How to avoid making mistakes in following
- Print out "Habits for Following
Directions" - - -
- Make copies for all students plus
- Download booklet.rtf.
Open it with your word processor, and print it. Follow the
direction on page 3 of that printout. You will be producing a 1/4
sheet sized booklet, that has four sets of reminders. Students are
to keep these for referral at any time. They will be expected to
have them out in class, ready to use, and to use them.
We will learn a few general ideas about how to
follow directions. There will be tests to see how well you can follow
Following directions is not something you just do
in school. You will be doing it for the rest of your lives. You will
do it in your job. You will do it when you buy things and have to
connect it, install it, or use it. You will do it when being treated
by a doctor. If you learn how to follow directions well, you will
make fewer mistakes and be more efficient. That means you won't be
wasting time when you could be doing something else, maybe something
you really want to do.
If you can whiz through a set of instructions and
do it all correct the first try, people will think highly of you. If
you fumble and stumble and have to redo things to get them correct,
people will think something like "What a fumbler!"
- Get out pencil and paper.
I am going to read an essay to you. You are to
take notes out-of-the-air as I read. Then I will call on some
of you to answer questions about what the essay said. You should
be able to answer from your notes. I will read
- Read essay "Habits for Following
- When you receive a set of instructions,
normally what is the first thing you should do?
- Read all the instructions completely
- What is the third thing you should do?
- Figure out what you are to
- What is the fourth thing?
- Familiarize yourself with
- What is the seventh thing?
- What is the eighth thing to remember?
- What is the ninth thing to remember?
- Reread to clarify what to
- What is the tenth thing?
- What is the eleventh thing?
- Pretend to be teacher. Look for
- What is the twelfth thing?
Hand out copies of the essay.
- Teacher Follow-up
See to it that each student has out the
little booklet when:
- Doing work that has a set of
- Taking a test.
- Doing self-study where taking notes would be a
- Advanced Personhood
Sequence. Links to grade 6 Lesson
As of: 26 Dec 2002