BETH HEATHER MACY email@example.com www.bhmconsulting.net
66 Old Point Rd (978) 465-6825 (Office)
Newbury, MA 01951 (617) 947-3360 (C)
Certified Scrum Professional
Certified Scrum Master
Certified Scrum Coach
MBTI® Certified Management Consultant
• Certified Scrum Coach (approx. 65 CSC’s worldwide), SCRUM Master and Certified SCRUM Professional.
• Results driven software process improvement Vice President/CTO level professional with extensive experience building
and re-engineering organizations for success.
• Technically savvy with strong leadership skills.
• Pragmatic approach to product development and release delivery.
• Experience in introducing SCRUM and Agile methodologies to streamline delivery practices.
• Consistent product delivery on time and with high quality and customer satisfaction.
• Skilled at delivering software projects in many different environments including, among others, many types of
internet/web based software, media delivery, application software, jobs focused software, and content management workflow
• Proven expertise in remote development, including creating and leading strong technical development teams across
cultural and geographical barriers.
• Ability to demonstrate, mentor and train others in Agile, and SCRUM and effective product development techniques.
• Highly skilled at guiding projects from inception to delivery in a flexible, timely, cost effective manner.
• Developed the vision for, the technological approach for, and led a University-wide project to create a single person
identity, and prevent SSN data theft, throughout over 200 systems and various offices/departments, converting over 20million person records.
• Led architecture, data warehousing definition, design reviews for web application development, and project management.
• Led globally distributed, cross-functional projects and teams.
• Changed a disorganized, inexperienced group of individuals following a waterfall methodology, into a team that worked
together to create possibilities and deliver in a timely manner through iterative development with incremental and
• Changed legacy code with waterfall processes to web services and reusable code modules with agile delivery.
• Masters in Psychology and Counseling from Cambridge College. Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC).
• Completed School of Coaching Mastery, Master Coach Training levels 1-3.
BHM CONSULTING Inc, Newbury, MA 2001 – Present
SCRUM & Agile Development Consultant, Coach, and Mentor
Apriss, KY; FrontLine, PA; FilmTrack, Inc., CA; iParadigms, CA & UK
Troubleshoot, coach, and train cross-functional teams in Scrum, Agile, Leadership, Meeting Management, and Management 101.
ZUMBA FITNESS, LLC, Hallendale, FL
Chief Technology Officer
Responsible for IT, DevOps, QA, Development and Project Management teams supporting company-wide global initiatives.
BHM CONSULTING Inc, Newbury, MA 2001 – Present
SCRUM & Agile Development Consultant, Coach, and Mentor
Network for Good, Bethesda, MD
Subway, Milford, CT
Idea Integration, Jacksonville, FL
Insight Venture Capital Companies, New York, New York 2009 – Present
Zumba, FL; Newegg, CA; Karmaloop, MA; Beatport, CO; Pertrac, NV; Cvent, FL; Syncsort, NJ; Football Fanatics, FL; GFI, FL; Shutterstock, NY; Healthcare Source, MA
• Training teams in deeper understanding of psychology behind SCRUM and core Scum/Agile concepts, as well as coaching
mentoring technical leads and cross-functional teams in basic Scrum & agile implementation and good development
• Working closely with management teams to help remove roadblocks to quicker delivery. Training Product Owners.
• Modifying traditional Scrum to include release planning and remote development
• Training and working with teams to convert development from Waterfall, chaos, RUP, and other practices to Scrum
• Partnering with development teams to increase agility and improve development processes
Newsweek.com, theRoot.com, Arlington, VA Oct 2008
• Co-Led SCRUM training session.
WPNI, Arlington, VA 2007 – Sep 2008
Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive Develops and maintains on-line news and applications that work synergistically with the
Washington Post newspaper, Budget Travel magazine, and Newsweek magazine. Also develops and supports theRoot, Sprig
and Slate websites.
• Initiated SCRUM methodologies and training across the organization.
• Led WPNI ecommerce, mobile and web technologies groups for WashingtonPost.com (6M-12M page views per day) and
BudgetTravel.com. Drove development of theRoot (1M page views in 1st month of deployment), including requirements
definition, staffing, budget, development, and rollout. Also stabilized and led Slate.com (1M-3.5M page views/day).
• Stabilized the washingtonpost.com publishing/production systems. Reduced unexpected outages from twice a week to once
in six months.
• Significantly “up skilled” the development team by managing out poor performers and hiring strong replacements.
• Changed the development culture from an “over the wall” mentality to one of strong partnership with the product teams.
• Re-established the credibility of the technical team with a consistent track record of delivering high quality software
• Hired and trained strong first level managers for each washingtonpost.com product team.
• Delivered www.theRoot.com in less than 3 months.
• Planned, budgeted and staffed major redesign for WashingtonPost.com. Defined shared services strategy to maximize
resources and minimize time to market. Brought in Quality Engineering, agile development practices, and shared components.
• Led vendor due diligence effort. Brought in eRoom groupware. Selected and acted as liaison to outsourcing firms.
• Set up development job categories and pay scales and helped streamline HR hiring process.
• Cited for being an example of WPNI’s “Excellence” for all employees.
ESCHER GROUP, Cambridge, MA 2007
Acting Vice President of Development:
• Led Cambridge Development, Documentation and Quality assurance groups. Coordinate work with Dublin and Singapore
• Instituted agile development methodologies and created roadmap for international Post Office automation including
retail transactions, asset management, and banking connectivity, using VB 6, VB .NET, C, C++, Escher proprietary messaging
and replication technology.
NORTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY, Boston, MA 2002 - 2007
Process Improvement Consultant, Contract CTO:
• Defined, budgeted, staffed, led the Enterprise Data Integration and SSN replacement vision, architecture and
implementation. Using agile techniques, delivered real time web services as front-end interfaces for various databases and
legacy systems. Also consultant for the Office of Planning and Research. Projects used: JSP, SOAP, XML,
MIIS, DB2, SQL Svr, DJ Cosmos, Excel, Access
• Led Electronic Medical Records (EMR) system requirements gathering and vendor selection.
• Led matrixed development teams across infrastructure, mainframe and application groups, with approximately 30 ongoing
projects across 150 plus people. Managed architecture, data warehousing, web app. development and project management.
• Administered, negotiated, defined work for off-shore consulting in India resulting in considerable cost savings on
• Implemented business workflow customer requirements gathering with screen mock-ups and early usability testing.
Instituted customer pilots and focus groups, product roadmaps and incremental delivery, resulting in early evaluation
and/or incorporation of customer changes, and more frequent and timely delivery, gaining greater customer satisfaction.
• Re-engineered the NU Information Service’s development processes, guiding implementation of flexible and iterative
process to align with the university’s “IS as a Business”. This resulted in significant cost savings with more
efficiently utilized resources, delivering projects where none were being delivered, again increasing customer and
• Devised DB2 workflow database with J2EE handlers to greatly enhance SCT portal targeting capabilities.
• Increased security and disaster recovery capabilities. Improved Development tools and infrastructure.
• Effective delivery of SCT Luminus portal applications such as Student Financials, Admitted Student Processing, Targeted
Messaging and others, increasing delivery from two-three “buttons” per year, to two-three “buttons” per month,
resulting in rebuilding client trust.
Vertex Software Ltd, Pune, India (2002)
Process Consultant, Offshore Development Center
• Evaluated associated ISO 9002 documentation for fit with US market. Mentored Project Leads in Pune, which resulted in
helping them understand their US customers and ended up increasing customer satisfaction and Vertex’s revenues.
ThirdAge, San Francisco, CA (2001 - 2002)
• Renegotiated IT contracts for savings of over $6K per month, and increased reliability and security of network
• Evaluated potential acquisitions and outsourcing opportunities, saving over $100K.
• Designed websites (php, Postgres, Linux, Xcart), produced Market Research, Product Requirement and Functional
Specifications resulting in the first version of a dating website for ThirdAge enabling them to launch their start up
• Successfully managed consulting process with hardware/software teams in India, New York, and California.
OPENPAGES, INC., Westford, MA 1999 - 2001
Content management Software Company and eCatalog Network Services (ASP)
Vice President of Engineering
• Built and led an Engineering team to produce a state-of-the art, multi-tier, distributed, web-based application, built
on Web Logic and J2EE, using WebDAV, JSPs and EJBs. Shipped ContentWare 2.6 and 3.0 (both PC & Mac), as well as
multiple custom versions, which generated over $1.7M within three months. Eliminated maintenance nightmare by producing
one version of custom software and reduced costs by approximately 40% by outsourcing ContentWare maintenance to a
firm in India.
• Restructured 245 person Moscow Development team to save money and better utilize resources. Site Manager for the
Moscow operation which including responsibility for HR, Finance, Office Mgt, Dev, QA, Doc, PM, Cooks and Drivers. Managed
eight engineering groups including Development, Program Management and QA consisting of 190 engineering staff
and a budget of $8.5M.
• Introduced release cycles, development methodology, schedules, configuration management, Beta, Design Partners, post
project reviews, and other techniques to ensure timely delivery. Created Purchase Order, Expense Report systems and
job families (with associated pay and stock option scales).
• Instituted job descriptions and individual Goals and Objectives systems, which had never been in place before resulting
in greatly, increased employee morale.
• Founded the Development, Quality Engineering, Documentation, Information Technology, G&A (Accounting, Office
Management, HR), Professional Services and Client Service groups (within Professional Services) to ensure customer
• As the Ad Hoc Facilities Manager, within three months, located office space, finalized lease for Viveca and coordinated move to new facilities including phone and data line installation while negotiating significant cost savings and bringing revenue to the bottom line.
BHM CONSULTING, Newbury, MA. 1996 - 1999
Concurrent consulting assignments at SoftImage, Montreal, Canada and Avid Technologies, Tewksbury, MA
SoftImage is a Canadian based 3-D software company acquired by Avid Technology, a media editing hardware/software
• Guided major rescheduling for 3-D project to produce predictable ship date, instituting solid project management techniques.
• Partnered with Vice President and extended management team to reengineer 3-D business unit, streamlining organizations
and processes, delivering the final product on time and within budget, against all expectations by the acquiring company.
• Co-led Engineering and Test efforts, taught scheduling skills and mentored managers in project management skills.
Troubleshot areas as needed on major releases resulting in significant timely delivery of multiple simultaneous releases.
• Successfully shipped various Media Composer and Broadcast releases within two weeks of predicted First Customer Ship resulting in initially unanticipated revenue stream.
• Coordinated external development project with Microsoft resulting in product available early to revenue generating customers.
Outsource Solutions, Waltham, MA
• Worked with CEO and start-up management team to define corporate structure, processes and timetable for start-up.
Furneaux Associates, Waltham, MA
Venture Capital firm.
• Evaluated various start-ups from a technical viewpoint for venture capital “fit” resulting in firm successfully investing in companies through my recommendations.
LOTUS DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION/IBM, Cambridge, MA. 1994 - 1996
Leading developer of global desktop applications.
Senior Director, IBM Global Network, Notes Service Development (1996)
• Built cross-functional, cross-organizational (IBM/Lotus) team to develop IBM InterConnect Service for Lotus Notes, V2.
• Helped set overall corporate (IBM/Lotus) development standards and processes.
Senior Director, Lotus SmartSuite Central/Global QA, Automation, and Engineering (1995)
Managed a 100+ person global group including Engineering and QA in USA, a Tools group in Dublin, a QA group in Beijing, and QA in Atlanta, and streamlined existing organizations into a new division.
• Led Lotus SmartSuite cross-functional teams, including Marketing, Desktop Program Management team, Global Automation/Tools group, and Quality for the Windows Suite, OS/2 Suite, Shared components, OS/2 ports, 1-2-3, Approach, Ami, Freelance. Shipped SmartSuite96.
• Determined QA standards, tools, and policies for entire Desktop organization.
• Designed and rolled-out new processes for coordinating components and predictably shipping Suite products.
Director Development Shared Components (1994)
Managed Documentation, Development, Product Management and QA groups, and the Macintosh porting group.
• Co-chaired Development Steering, guiding division wide Development standards.
• Authored “Survival Handbook”, a corporate-wide Development Process guide.
APPLE COMPUTER, Cupertino, California 1993 - 1994
Computer manufacturer hardware and software.
Manager, International Software
Apple Computer went through significant upheaval and attrition shortly after hire. Put into several positions including Acting Manager Reference Version Engineering, Acting Manager MOST Program Management, Co-Acting Director MOST (Modern Operating Systems Technology aka PowerPC).
• Led team of 55 in Cupertino including International Engineering, QA and Technical Support. Managed remote development in the US and France, QA in Dublin and coordinated work with Japan.
• Ensured proper enabling technology, quality, tools, and training for System and PC Division Software localization.
• Instituted improved goals/objectives/review and scheduling/project management processes. Helped implement new corporate wide development processes. Led management training and team building sessions.
• Shipped Chinese Language Kit, Japanese Language Kit and PowerMac OS.
LOTUS DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION/IBM, Cambridge, MA 1984 - 1993
Director DOS Spreadsheets (1992 - 1993)
Product Manager/Senior Development Manager (1990 - 1992)
Senior Development Manager (1988 - 1990)
Principal Engineer (1987 - 1988)
Development Manager/QA Supervisor (1985 - 1986)
Senior Software Engineer (1984 - 1985)
Software Engineer/Project Lead (1984)
• Shipped SmartSuite96, 1-2-3 R3.X, Symphony 3.0, Agenda 2.0, Symphony HAL, Lotus Metro, Symphony Add-In Tools, Symphony Link
UNITED STATES NAVY
• Lieutenant (O-3), United States Navy. Honorable Discharge (duties classified); RECWO, Mathematics Instructor
EDUCATION: BS, Mathematics, Bridgewater State College, Bridgewater, MA
MEd, Mental Health and Addiction Counseling, Cambridge College
Patent applications filed with US Patent and Trademark Office:
• Multi-site Tracking and Analysis Software, Application Number: 09/491,482, Filed Jan 24, 2000, Santanu Paul, Clint Bidlack, Beth Macy.
• Efficient Management and Distribution of Product Information, Application Number: 60/245,016, Provisional filed on November 1, 2000. Santanu Paul, Beth Macy, and Catherine Iannuzzo.
Patents in process:
• Targeted Alert and Message Data and Workflow Management System, Siva Ghatti, John Brandolini, Beth H. Macy, Art Mahoney
HONORS AND RECOGNITION:
• Nominated for Northeastern University’s 2005 Aspiration Award
• Certified Scrum Master, Certified Scrum Practitioner, Certified Scrum Coach; Review potential board members and candidates for CSC
• Six Sigma Green Belt certified (2006); Completed PMP certification prep course (2006)
• LMHC (Massachusetts); ACE Certified personal trainer, AIFE Adult Certified Trainer
• Produce, Film and Edit Videos for musicians and start-ups
• BMRC (Boston Medical Reserve Corps) Volunteer
• Yearly keynote speaker at Insight Ventures Partners Forum