This page was last updated on June 1, 2011
Here are a few of the many places you can go for information on springs and springmaking.
(Manufacturers of coil springs unless otherwise noted.)
- Costa Rica
- Great Britain
- South Africa
- United States
- Nationwide Directory maintained by Thomas Co.
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- Machinery (note that most machinery manufacturers sell and distribute worldwide)
- Wire (note that most wire manufacturers sell and distribute worldwide)
- Misc supplies & equipment
Randy Kepner is a springmaker in Pennsylvania
The Library will typically contain engineering and design reference texts at Dewey classification #621.824. There are also a couple of articles in magazines to check out:
- "Helical springs" by Kozo Hiraoka, in Home Shop Machinist, May/June and July/August issues, 1987. (Thanks to Don Peterson for telling me about this) - NOTE: This article is avaiable on the Web here.
- "Spring Winder" by Glenn Wilson, in Machinist's Workshop, Feb/Mar 2001 issue (thanks, Glenn!)
- "Springs & Pressings A Dsigner's Guide" by Matthew Drew, privately published by Southern Springs & Pressings. Ask nice and he may send you a copy.
- "http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Springs/Springs_helical.html" TARGET="_blank">A mechanical engineering website that provides lots of formulas and theory behind spring design. (Added 6/1/2011)
Bookstores are usually not so helpful unless they're technical in nature.
The Thomas Catalog has a listing for springmakers
Don't forget the Guild of Metalsmiths
And here's a directory of manufacturers of wire forms! (Added 9/15/2003)
Here's a worldwide directory of manufacturing, including springmaking. (Added 6/1/2011)
If you're looking for a quote, try this site, which apparently offers multiple suppliers' bids with only one RFQ. (Added 6/1/2011)
Publications include Wire World, self-proclaimed as the world's premier online directory for the wire & cable industry.
Saving the best for last, we have the metalworking newsgroup that provided me with the inspiration to put this site on the Web, as well as many comments as well as some good, lasting friendships.
If you know any other links that should be on this page, let me know.