Build a Simple Bat Detector
Finding the Parts...
The following lists attempt to give sources for the critical
parts used in building the Simple Bat Detector. The lists
are organized by country and include web sites, mailing addresses,
and phone numbers for various electronics parts sources. This
information often becomes out-dated, as it depends on
correspondents that have helped me compile the lists ... and
things change. If anyone has corrections or additions for these
or other countries, your fellow countrymen will appreciate it !
Send me an email at: T-Rex@ix.netcom.com.
These parts are generally available at any well stocked
electronics part supplier...
- LM386N-1 integrated circuit amplifiers - ( IC1 & IC2
- 3.5 mm, 3 circuit ( stereo ) phone jack
- Phenolic or Fiberglass Perf Board
- 470 uf , 16 volt, electrolytic capacitor
- 10 uf, 16 volt, tantalum or electrolytic capacitor
- .047 or .05 uf mylar, or ceramic capacitor
- 9 volt battery clip with wires
Essential Parts List for Australia
- Ultrasonic Transducer - Oatley Electronics: 40KHz receive
- CD4024 - binary counter ( IC3 ) - Dick Smith: P/NZ5624
- Plastic Case - Jaycar Electronics: P/N HB-6015
- High Impedance Ceramic Earphone - Dick Smith: P/N C2765
- 10 KOhm, PC mount variable resistor - Dick Smith: P/N R1771
- 3.5mm Earphone Jack - Dick Smith: P/N P1240
Parts Sources in Australia
- Dick Smith Electronics and Jaycar Electronics:
Most of the parts for the Simple Bat Detector.
Both of these companies are located throughout Australia.
A nearby store may be found in your local phone directory.
- Oatley Electronics: This is a source for the 40
kHz piezo transducer. Their website is at: www.oatleyelectronics.com.
Essential Parts List for Canada
- Ultrasonic Transducer - Maplin: P/N HY12N
- HCF 4024 BEY - binary counter ( IC3 ) - Maplin: P/N QX13P
- LM386N-1 - amplifier IC - Maplin: P/N UJ37S
( 2 IC's )
- Plastic Case with 9 volt battery clip - Maplin: P/N ZB17T
- High Impedance Ceramic Earphone - Maplin: P/N LB25
- 3.5 mm, 3 circuit (stereo) phone jack -
Maplin: P/N FK20W
- 10 KOhm, PC mount variable resistor - Maplin: P/N UH03
Parts Sources in Canada
- Maplin Electronics: The essential parts of the Simple
Bat Detector are available from a Maplin Electronics
parts supplier. Maplin's website is at: www.maplin.co.uk. In
Canada, Maplin parts are available from from Quality Kits.
If you are in
Japan, and wish to build a bat detector...
||You may wish to contact: Hisafumi Tateno
, who is dedicated to teaching children about the bat, as
well as other environmental and ecological topics.We have
been corresponding in an effort to identify locally
available parts to build the Simple Bat Detector.
He is happy to share ideas and enthusiasm ... you can
reach him by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are in the United Kingdom,
and wish to build a bat detector...
Lee Rogers has circuit boards for Simple
Bat Detector builders in the UK !!
To purchase one, email him at: email@example.com
Here is a PDF parts list of components that can be ordered from Rapid
List for the United States
- 40 kHz Ultrasonic Transducer - Mouser P/N 255-400SR16
- 6.8 mH Detuning Coil - Mouser P/N 434-02-682J
- CD4024BCN - binary counter ( IC3 ) - Digi-Key: P/N 296-2042-5-ND
- High Impedance Ceramic Earphone - See notes on parts list ...
See Complete Parts List ... )
Parts Sources in the United States
- Digi-Key Corporation: 701 Brooks Avenue South,
Thief River Falls, MN 56701
Order Line: ( 800 ) 344-4539 - web site at www.digikey.com
- Mouser Electronics: 958 N. Main, Mansfield, TX
Order Line: ( 800 ) 346-6873 - web site at www.mouser.com
Tony Messina - email: T-Rex@ix.netcom.com - Last
update February, 2006
Return to the Build a Simple Bat Detector Top Page