Part of the American Legion Heroes to Hometown Program
Operation Vegas Heroes: Helping our Nation's Heroes
"Heroes to Hometowns" is a transition program for severely injured service members returning home from
OEF/OIF. "Heroes to Hometowns" establishes a support network and coordinates resources for those servicemembers.
As a logical extension of our Operation Wounded Warrior, which has helped countless injured servicemembers since 2005, our efforts now turn to the very same servicemembers
returning to our communities. With the largest number of Veterans coming home
from war, since WWII, we realize that our efforts now, more than ever, we must take care of those returning to the Las Vegas
area. The needs are great and cannot be overstated.
Terrible examples exist; form Veterans eating dog food to forgoing toilet paper, simply
to keep a roof over their heads. No Veteran should ever have to wipe their butts
with their hands.
You can help.
Small donations are greatly appreciated, but if you prefer not to donate money, pick
up some four-packs of toilet paper every time you go shopping. Bring it to us
and we’ll make sure it gets in the right (of left) hands. Scroll down for shopping
There are now more homeless OEF/OIF Veterans than Vietnam Veterans.
This is a crisis in the making, greater than anything we've ever seen before. You can help.
If you are a servicemember, veteran, or family member of a servicemember
or veteran who has been severely injured, please fill out the Heroes to Hometowns assistance request form.
Heroes to Hometowns can provide:
· A Welcome-home celebration
· Temporary Financial Assistance
· Pro-bono financial planning
· Housing assistance
· Home and vehicle adaptation
· Government claims assistance
· Entertainment options
· Family support
(If you are not severely injured and are in need of general transition
assistance or support, you may also fill out the request form or contact your American Legion department service officer (DSO)
or your local American Legion post ).
Contact Heroes to Hometowns:
Office: (202) 263-5761
Pentagon Detachment: (202) 631-9924
What our warriors need
(new items only):
Collect these and call us for pickup
- Wal-Mart, Target, or Grocery Gift Cards ($25.00 increments)
- Canned tuna, salmon, sardines
- Breakfast cereal, breakfast bars, granola bars, graham crackers
- Old-Fashioned Oatmeal (not instant)
- Single serve apple sauce, pudding, Jell-O, fruit cups
- Hamburger Helper / Tuna Helper / Pasta side dishes Pasta Roni / Hormel meals
- Macaroni and Cheese (single serve or boxed)
- Canned soup, stews, ravioli, spaghetti-ohs
- Vegetarian chili (non-meat)
- Brown Rice / Rice side dishes / Rice-A-Roni
- Single-serve, pre-packaged food items (microwavable)
- Canned vegetables (potatoes, beans, carrots, peas)
- Toilet Paper / Paper Towel / Tissues
- Clorox disinfectant wipes / Baby Wipes
- Laundry detergent, bleach, dryer sheets (no liquid softener)
- Feminine hygiene items / baby diapers
- Shaving cream / Razors (men and women)
- Sunscreen / Skin Lotion
- Toothpaste / toothbrushes / dental floss / dental picks . / Lip balm (Chapstick) /Mouthwash
- Deodorant / Soap / Shampoo / Conditioner
Or Print Membership Applications
Send Mail To:
American Legion Paradise Post 149
P.O. Box 70184
Las Vegas, NV 89170