St. Mihel American Cemetery
Just Outside Verdun

Main | Previous | Next

We were just riding by when we passed this.

The instruction and care of this 40-acre cemetery is under the responsibility of the American Battle Monuments Commission, an agency of the U.S. Government. Use of the land is granted in perpetuity, by the people of France.

After World War I the Commission erected a memorial chapel in eight military cemeteries in France, as well as eleven battlefield monuments.

At the end of World War II fourteen additional military cemeteries were established.

A white marble headstone marks each grave, a Star of David for those of the Jewish faith and a Christian cross for all others.

The graves in the World War I cemeteries number approximately 39 percent of those originally buried. The remains of the other 61 percent were returned home at the request of relatives.

 Main | Previous | Next