WHAT KIND OF "FRUITS" ARE THESE?
On May 14th three bishops from Uganda came to visit Medjugorje and from there they went to visit Bishop Ratko Peric of Mostar, their former classmate from Rome, in order to inquire on the local church's position on the so-called events of Medjugorje. The undersigned was also present.
The Bishop gave his former classmates some documents which clearly show that from 1981 to 1991, three qualified commissions in the service of the local Bishop, and the Bishops' Conference investigated the events. Ten years ago, in 1987, Bishop Pavao Zanic, formally and officially declared in the parish of Medjugorje, that the Madonna has not appeared to anyone there. In 1991, the Bishops' Conference did not only declare that there were not authentic apparitions, but it stressed that: "it is impossible to confirm that the events involve supernatural apparitions or revelations". From 1981 onward, "messages of peace" have been sent out to the world from Medjugorje. Yet in our local Church these messages include the following "fruits":
- The Administration of the Franciscan Province of Herzegovina, which was punished in 1976, has from 1982 given the further penalty of being at the level of "ad instar", due to its unwillingness to implement the decisions of the Holy See regarding pastoral services in some of the parishes of the Diocese of Mostar-Duvno.
- Many churches have been built by the Franciscans through the help of the faithful and the benefactors, which they blessed themselves, without even informing the local Bishop, which goes against Canon Law and the charisma of St. Francis. A church in the parish Ljuti Dolac was blessed this way on April 23rd this year. In Medjugorje itself, many ecclesiastic buildings have been erected without any permission from the proper Church authorities.
- More than 10 Franciscan priests do not have canonical faculty to hear confessions in the Dioceses of Herzegovina. Some due to their own fault, while others, due to the fault of their Religious community which is not fulfilling the Papal Decree.
- More than 40 Franciscans have not received the necessary faculties to work pastorally in Herzegovina, yet they don't even bother with the decisions of the legal Church authorities. Some of them are currently in Medjugorje.
- Many Religious communities are living and working in the parish of Medjugorje without the permission of Church authorities, such as: "Beatitudes", "Kraljice mira, potpuno tvoji", "Cenacolo", "Oasi di pace", and "Franjevke pomocnice svecenika". Hence, Medjugorje has become a place of Religious disorder, disobedience and antiecclesiastical activity.
- Last year, some "Catholic faithful" with the knowledge of the Franciscans, built up a brick wall over the entrance doors of the church in Capljina and the Cathedral's affiliated church in Miljkovici. Two Franciscans who are without canonical faculties for the parish of Capljina, are currently working in the enclosed church. Everything they are doing is unlawful and the marriages performed there are invalid!
- Some of the Franciscans in Mostar are ignoring the legally established Cathedral church and the other four diocesan parishes in Mostar dedicated to the four evangelists, while they continue to organize religious services with the people on their own, against the specific decisions of the Holy See and the Head of the Franciscan Order.
- The Provincial "ad-instar" has on many occasions warned his brothers in writing, that serious measures of the Franciscans General Administration are being threatened upon the entire Province due to their disobedience.
- In Medjugorje, the periodical "Glas mira" and "Press Bulletin" are published without the necessary permission from Church authorities. These same periodicals proclaim the "authenticity of the apparitions" and speak of the "shrine" even though no responsible church statement has even claimed "authenticity" nor proclaimed any "shrine".
- The counter-Church organization "Mir i dobro" (Pax et bonum) was allowed to borrow the shield and motto of the Franciscans, who have not distanced themselves from their group's illegal activities, even when this was asked of them.
- Hence, these are some of the "fruits" of those who are using Medjugorje to "sell shady peace" to the world, who have hardened themselves in their disobedience towards the Holy See and the Franciscan charisma.
On May 15, we could read a dispatch from Medjugorje in Slobodna Dalmacija, regarding the Ugandan Bishops, whereby the "seer" "Ivan Dragicevic transmitted the Madonna's message, who on that occasion, said that she is very pleased that the Bishops are in Medjugorje". Ivan was otherwise in the seminary in Visoko during 1981-82. The Commission investigating the "apparitions" questioned him once in Visoko. On May 9, 1982, he wrote: "A sign shall occur on June". Nothing happened. Later on, he was expelled from Visoko due to poor grades. He continued in Dubrovnik from 1982-83. During his two-year stay in the seminary, he said that he was seeing the Madonna and that she told him that he would be a priest. Yet he was expelled from Dubrovnik, once again due to poor grades. In 1994 he found the former Miss Massachusetts, Loreen Murphy, whom he married in Boston (Slobodna Dalmacija, 9. 11. 1994). On the day of the wedding, the groom "had an apparition" in Massachusetts. The Madonna seems to be following him around the world as with some of the other "seers" of Medjugorje. Now he presents the Blessed Virgin Mary as being "very pleased that Bishops are in Medjugorje". This type of "message" is not only a clear advertisement for Medjugorje, but a simple invention aimed at making the naive "avert their ears from the truth and turn to extravagant tales" (2 Tim 4:4).
Mostar, 16 May 1997